Arthritis in the Neck
Arthritis in the Neck is a degenerative joint disease that affects the neck at the top of the cervical spine and spinal column. The muscles, discs and spinal nerves affect your ability turn your head as well as lower and raise your head. When you have neck arthritis you may have limited range of motion, and you may not be able to move your neck around to see to the side of you without turning your whole body.
It is a condition that affects people during their midlife years and beyond (40+). More men are affected with arthritis in the neck than women and they also seem to develop it at an earlier age as well. With the use of electronic devices for long periods of time, now younger women and men are experiencing neck pain and symptoms of degenerative neck arthritis. I’m sure you’ve seen the posture that matches the Facebook symbol (a straight body with a 90 degree curved neck reading… Facebook.)
What Causes Neck Pain?
What Causes Neck Pain in arthritis? Poor posture, injury, not using an ergonomic (supports your natural alignment and posture) chair or pillow. It can be from Osteoarthritis in the neck (most common) or Rheumatoid arthritis in the neck (autoimmune condition.) Neck arthritis pain has a burning type of pain that frequently radiates into your facial area as well as your shoulder area. It can be aggravated by a neck injury or strain that will cause swelling and sometimes you will hear a popping sound when you move your head.
This is your tendons and ligaments moving tightly over your cervical spine because of the pressure that swelling is causing in that area. Here are a few things that can worsen your neck arthritis pain:
- Sports activity where weight is carried on top of the head, like a basket, or sporting equipment
- Professional sports like football, gymnastics and even break dancing
- Injuries that cause neck compression, like an automobile accident or a fall where you land on your head
- There may even be some genetic predisposition to this condition as well
Although you may feel severely debilitated there are some really good arthritis exercises you can do and remedies you can take. They can really help you recover quickly and fully and regain full mobility without pain or surgery.
What is Cervical Spondylosis?
What is Cervical Spondylosis? It is the medical term for arthritis in your neck. It is called cervical spondylosis because it affects the cervical part of the spine that is the neck area and spondylosis because it is a degeneration of the cartilage and discs in your cervical spine (neck.) It usually refers to osteoarthritis in the neck because of excess spinal and neck compression that has led to damaged tissues.
What Causes Arthritis in the Neck? Poor posture is causing pain and arthritis in the neck and cervical areas of the spine. This causes narrowing of the spinal canals and thickening in the ligaments and bony structures of the neck. This leads to nerve compression due to inflammation and breakdown of the structure, and can lead to severe pain, swelling and even numbness in the area. The faster you start treating your cervical arthritis degeneration, inflammation and disc pressure, the better your chances of healing from this condition.
Symptoms of Neck Arthritis
What are the most common Symptoms of Neck Arthritis? Since the neck and shoulder are connected they are sometimes tied together in a neck ache. Here are the most common symptoms of Neck Arthritis:
- Headache or Fever
- Dizziness or Nausea
- Numbness or Burning Pain in Neck (sometimes shoulder area too)
- Night Sweats
- Blurry Vision
- Facial Pain
- Feeling Tired or Lethargic
If you are experiencing any of the above cervical arthritis symptoms along with neck pain, then you will want to treat it immediately by using exercises for neck pain, neck arthritis remedies and a natural neck arthritis treatment which are all shown below.
Exercises for Neck and Shoulder Pain
Here are the best exercises for neck and shoulder pain. These neck pain exercises can help strengthen the muscles around your neck and cervical spine and take pressure off your discs:
- Water exercise or aerobics (swimming or walking in a pool with lukewarm water)
- Resistance Training – Perform joint friendly non-impact Exercises for Arthritis to strengthen the muscles surrounding the joints , taking pressure off of them and begin true healing.
- Posture Training – The Alexander Technique is really great for this. Proper Posture is very important in getting arthritis pain relief and this can help you relieve neck, back and shoulder pain!
- Ergonomics – Proper Ergonomic Posture reduces stress on your back and joints.
- Lose Your Neck Pain This guide gives you all the exercises, diet choices for arthritis relief that has been proven to work from the healthy back institute!
Do whatever you can do that doesn’t add additional stress on your neck and spinal column to relieve the pressure on your neck and spine. Then add the following natural treatments below to restore pain free mobility for the long term.
Treatment for Arthritis in the Neck
There is a Natural Treatment for Arthritis in the Neck that will help you not only relieve your neck pain and gain greater neck mobility but also improve your neck arthritis and heal your cervical spine. Neck pain is a tricky thing that usually takes a few weeks to feel completely better. Using the recommended treatment for neck pain can get you feeling better in a fraction of the time it usually takes to be neck pain free.
Learn to Stretch you neck when you get a flare and help stop the pain in its tracks. When you strengthen and balance the muscles in your neck you will take a lot of pressure off of your spinal column and allow your neck to sit in it’s properly balanced location. Use these natural arthritis neck treatment options to relieve the pressure off your neck, clean up the damage in your discs and joints and begin healing the cartilage, discs and pinched nerves if you have any:
- Heal n Soothe Arthritis are whole body enzymes that break up the scar tissue in your joints that make them inflexible. They also repair damaged torn cartilage, bone spurs and remove excess junk coral and carbonate calcium deposits. Heal-n-Soothe does just that.
- The Best Joint Supplement is a joint rebuilding supplement with hyaluronic acid (joint fluid) for enhanced joint flexibility, hydrolyzed collagen (bio-available collagen that is 100% absorbable) and natural anti-inflammatory ingredients like white willow bark extract, ionic sea minerals, Vitamin K2, Magnesium, and MSM. Super joint supplement has all the necessary nutrients, in the right amount proven to restore joint mobility and stop joint pain and destruction. It is so helpful for joint pain, and tendonitis as well as having a rejuvenating effect on your hair, skin and body tissues. It restores optimum levels of joint fluid for proper cushioning and flexibility, advanced joint collagen to resurface worn or damaged cartilage and nutrients to inhibit the COX-2 inflammatory response and give you real arthritis relief.
- Pain Relief Cream for Arthritis gives you topical pain relief for the exact areas that are hurting you. This is a very good natural pain reliever that works especially well for arthritis joint pain, back pain, neck pain and muscle pain.
- Natural Anti Inflammatory Supplements to stop any pain and inflammation so you can get a healing response going
- Inversion Table takes pressure off your neck and spinal column quickly so you get nerve pain relief and neck pain relief natuarlly. I prefer this to the neck stretching brace below
- Stretching Neck Brace lengthens your cervical spine and take pressure off your nerves (pinched nerves) and discs.
- Far Infrared Heating Pad quickly allows your muscles and connective tissues to relax and reduces inflammation and pain deeply
- Trigger Point Therapy relieves the pressure on the cervical spinal nerves that are causing your pain
Go at your own body’s pace and you will be helping others, because they will be asking what it is that you did to recover. Be sure to check out the Healthy Back and Neck Institute’s tips for eliminating neck pain at home quickly and easily by visiting Lose the Neck Pain.